A Discussion about French Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shepherd, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Bonjour!

I have always had an interest in France. Many of my friends who have visited France always comment on how well-mannered French dogs are. They return with stories not just on French culture, but on the country's dog culture as well.

In France, you will frequently see dogs by the feet of their owns in restaurants and cafés. One friend even said she saw dogs inside of a cinema. We could argue the sanitary precautions of having animals inside of restaurants, but to my knowledge, most dogs are not allowed in supermarket areas. Furthermore, while having dinner at home, I never usher my dogs outside unless they become particularly pesky while I am trying to eat. My beagle, for example, cannot contain himself when there is bacon on the table.

Many French people do not walk their dogs on leashes. The dogs walk next to their owner through the park or on sidewalks. This seems too wild for me to even consider! Every time I am walking down the sidewalk with my dogs in the city, they become easily distracted. Or if we are passing another dog, they always have to stop and smell each other.

How do you feel about this? Do you think the French canine culture is neat or unhygienic?

Shepherd, Jul 18, 2012
  2. Shepherd

zararina Well-Known Member

They seem to have very behaved dogs. They must be strict on training dogs since "puppy" stage.
    It is nice to know how dogs are allowed to be with their owners and just walk without anything to worry about.
    In here, that is not possible either.

zararina, Jul 18, 2012
  3. Shepherd

Melody Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this. I have a French friend in France. I may have to ask her about the dogs.

I think it's an interesting set up. Though, I would have to observe it myself to find out if it works as well as your friends observed. I guess I'm not that trusting of people to trust their dogs.

I don't think this situation would work in the US. You can't get Americans to agree that their dogs need to be trained or watched. When the owners don't think something is necessary, the dog is sure to be ill mannered and not under their control. It's almost imperative that a dog be walked on leash here because you can never be sure what the other person's dog will do.

I know my dog is not well mannered enough to walk off leash. I would be afraid that she would chase a squirrel or cat and be hit by a car.

Melody, Jul 19, 2012
  4. Shepherd

Becky Well-Known Member

I've been to France a few times - Paris in particular - and I'll confess I've never noticed this. In fact the one thing that does stick in my head is the sheer amount of dog poo everywhere - dog owners seem to just let their dog poo wherever it likes and they don't pick it up afterwards!! Disgusting o_O

Becky, Jul 19, 2012
Ask a Question