Best method of clipping a dog's nails?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012.

1. inTHEsane

inTHEsane Active Member

I am blessed with a dog that trims his own nails, he has a whole process to it.
    He has never seriously injured himself doing so, and only cracked a nail once
    or twice in the last 6 years. However my parents have a dog, that really
    doesn't enjoy getting his nail cut at all. To the point where the vet has to do
    it now. Is there anyway once they've reached that much disliking to it,to get
    them back to being able to tolerate it?

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  2. inTHEsane

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Many dogs will never like having their nails trimmed. I would make certain to use the sharpest clippers in the size most appropriate for the dog's size (not using massive guillotine nail trimmers on a toy-sized dog, for example) and give a treat every time the dog sits still for a nail to be cut, after successfully clipping the nail. Once the dog starts to behave better, start to fade out the treats (only rewarding after every second or third nail) until treats are reserved for a big reward after the deed.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 25, 2012
  3. inTHEsane

summerRain Well-Known Member

That's a nice motivation for a successful nail clipping for dogs LoupGarouTFTs. My oldest dog doesn't like me to trim his nails so I just leave it the way it is. I should try the treats method and see how my dog reacts.

summerRain, Feb 25, 2012
  4. inTHEsane

inTHEsane Active Member

Thanks for the input LoupGarouTFTs. Unfortunately in my parent's dog's case we have already tried these basic steps with him. I could lay a steak dinner out in front of him and it won't make a difference. In fact I think if he could talk he would give up treats entirely, if he never had to get trimmed again.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
  5. inTHEsane

zararina Well-Known Member

Thanks too for the tip.
    Actually all the dogs I have does not want to trim their nails and good thing it does not really grow long that it could make a problem.

zararina, Feb 27, 2012
  6. inTHEsane

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I never had nay problems with my Bangkeaw's nails. Mainly because she trims them herself by scratching and digging holes. For my Shih Tzu, I use something like this:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Mar 3, 2012
  7. inTHEsane

Wow that was a cute device for clipping your Shih Tzu's nails. I don't use stuffs like that. All I have here is a human nail cutter for my dogs.

summerRain, Mar 5, 2012
  8. inTHEsane

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I don't use clippers at all they terrify my dogs I use Pedipaws. It's a battery operated file that files your dogs nails down.

[​IMG]

SheWolfSilver, Mar 5, 2012
  9. inTHEsane

The advantage of that specialized dog-nail clipper is that it holds the nail in place when clipping it off. With a normal nail-clipper, there is a tendency for the nail to slip off. And that is painful.

Victor Leigh, Mar 5, 2012
  10. inTHEsane

That is why I am always taking extra careful whenever I am clipping my dog's nail. SheWolfSilver's post about the Pedipaws is quite promising. I've seen the review and it can save our dogs from painful nail clipping. I think it is safe to use too. :)

summerRain, Mar 6, 2012
  11. inTHEsane

King Browny Well-Known Member

Me, too. I have the large nail cutter to cut Shakira's nails. I don't have problem with the boys because they are not acquainted with cutting their nails. I think they are happy that their girl-friend shoulder the proper grooming.

The technique is to clip the excess nails little by little. And you have to smile to your dog every now and then as you cut it's nails to assure it will be over soon.

King Browny, Mar 6, 2012
  12. inTHEsane

Smiling really works but don't forget the powers of rewards after clipping their nails. They should have their treats for behaving and for a job well done.

summerRain, Mar 7, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  13. inTHEsane

I think the very first nail-cutting session is very important. Dogs seem to remember painful experiences for a very long time. I remember Benjamin, the mixed breed that I took over when it was already an old dog. I couldn't even put my hand anywhere near its paws let alone clip its nails. Unfortunately it was not good at trimming its own nails like my Bangkeaw. So eventually it had a swollen paw due to an ingrown nail. That was when I had to put a rug over it, hold it down and trimmed off the offending nail. After that it didn't mind me cutting its nails at all.

Victor Leigh, Mar 10, 2012
  14. inTHEsane

haopee Well-Known Member

I think, first of all, you need to find a good clipper- and a sharp one at the least made for dogs.

Treats are pretty important. Once you put him on the table, give him a treat. Since treats are good, then he will eventually associate nail clipping with treats. Rather than get him fixated on the clipper, take advantage of using his nose as a distraction. Before his nail is cut, raise the treat in front of his nose (make sure the treat is really something he loves- liver, beef, turkey and duck are probably the best flavors you could try choosing from). After clipping his nail, give the treat immediately. Try doing this repetitively until you're done with the last nail.

haopee, Mar 16, 2012
  15. inTHEsane

zararina Well-Known Member

I also do not have problems in clipping my dog's nails as they trim it by themselves by scratching/digging. And they usually have short nails so no need for a trim. ;)

zararina, Mar 16, 2012
  16. inTHEsane

That's right. Nail-clipping is not an issue with dogs which are inveterate diggers like Bangkeaws. It's usually the sedentary toy dogs which need to be pampered with a nail-clipping session every now and then to keep things in trim, so to speak.

Victor Leigh, Mar 18, 2012
  17. inTHEsane

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I disagree! My dogs are very avid diggers! I can show you the holes in my backyard to prove it and their nails are long and need trimming. I can show you pictures of the hole and their nails to prove my point. So, I don't think digging has a thing to do with it.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 19, 2012
Ask a Question