Do you read the fine print?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Winterybella, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

First off I don't see as well as I used to and my glasses are often lost away somewhere in my bag. Then there is the fact that I am not the one who usually buys the dog food, so even if I am going to read, it's going to be after the fact. Some months ago I asked my husband to change the dog food because I heard a local supplier was being sued for producing inferior food. I happened to be using the same products.

The dog breeder who told me of the case said we often forget to read "the fine print" and by extension what is contained in the food. Do you read or do you just trust the brand?

Winterybella, Apr 2, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I no longer trust brands, not after the beneful incident. I try to read what the food contains, just like I do with my own food. I've been doing this with my own food recently :) I read the labels and immediately reject anything containing hydrogenated oils, Acesulfame K, high fructose corn syrup and others. I do the same with my cat and dog food, isn't easy and fun when you are thinking of switching brands... but I only do it once :) Then I stick to that brand.

Trellum, Apr 3, 2015
  3. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't trust brands either. It would be naive and risky. Unfortunately, most products available in stores contain harmful substances. I always read everything written on the package. Also, I do a research before buying new dog food. My Homer is my family, I would never put his health at risk.

claudine, Apr 3, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Be careful with Beneful, Claudine! That dog food brand is said to have killed a lot dogs already, it's hard to believe, but it is still being sold over here :O Same with Whiskas, a friend of mine says her cat now has kidney or liver issues thanks to whiskas.

Trellum, Apr 4, 2015
  5. Winterybella

I heard many bad things about Whiskas! Same goes for Pedigree. My Homer loves Royal Canin. According to our vet, it's a great and very healthy dog food. I wish it was less expensive!
    What food do you feed your girl?

claudine, Apr 4, 2015
  6. Winterybella

I feed her Blue buffalo :) It's expensive, but given the fact so many awful things are being unveiled about the other brands, I think the price is worth it =D You know? Before I used to think Beneful was good, I used to feed it to her or sometime Pedigree, but I'm so glad I didn't do it for too long!!! I mean, Beneful has killed many dogs already!

Trellum, Apr 5, 2015
  7. Winterybella

I've never seen Blue Buffalo in pet stores in my area. I guess it's not available here. Fortunately, Homer loves his food and it clearly works great for him, because he's very healthy:)
    As for Beneful, it's really shocking:(

claudine, Apr 5, 2015
  8. Winterybella

Some of the names being mentioned are foreign to me> Truth of the matter is that since telling my husband to change the food I have not checked the fine print of this one truth be told. I guess I trust him to buy the right thing although I don't know what that is anymore. My husband has a way of calling a friend for advice who's in the dog business. I guess I should still do my own checking.

Winterybella, Apr 6, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Have you heard about cesar's? That brand is very popular here :O It's kinda like a gourmet brand, I think they only sell wet food, I heard it's such a treat for most dogs:

[​IMG]

I see this brand as the brand for pampered little dogs, lol.

Trellum, Apr 6, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Yeah, be careful with pedigree and Beneful! The last one is the worst one, that food has already killed some dogs already :( Also if you get a cat be careful with whiskas, a friend of mine used to give that food to her cat, now the cat has kidney issues and is diabetic!

Trellum, Apr 6, 2015
  11. Winterybella

No, I've never seen Cesar's here. But the truth is that I don't pay much attention to wet food. Homer has never eaten it. I don't think it's healthy, so I give him either dry food or fresh vegetable treats:)

claudine, Apr 6, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Yeah, canned food is highly processed, even more than dry food :eek: I only offer that one as a treat, because it's very easy for both dogs and cats to put on weight when their diet is wet food based :oops::confused:

Trellum, Apr 7, 2015
  13. Winterybella

It's very true! My neighbor feeds her dogs wet food and they all are overweight:( My Homer isn't picky, he eats everything I give him, so I do my best to choose really healthy snacks for him:)

claudine, Apr 8, 2015
  14. Winterybella

Yeah, canned food is soooo fatty! Can't believe some people feed their dogs that daily! They must have gotten used to it from a young age, that is why it is almost impossible to impose them dry food later. That is great, does he even like eating celery bits?

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
  15. Winterybella

I'm not sure, I've never given him celery. But he eats everything that drops on the floor;) So I'm pretty sure he would eat celery bits too.

claudine, Apr 9, 2015
  16. Winterybella

Wow! You are so lucky! My girl isn't as picky as that old Schnauzer was, but I'm not sure he'd eat veggie bits... maybe carrots, but definitely not celery :eek::D:p

Trellum, Apr 10, 2015
  17. Winterybella

My Homer loves all vegetables:) He likes carrots more than his dog food! Yesterday, I caught him stealing salad from my sister's tortoise:p

claudine, Apr 10, 2015
  18. Winterybella

Hahahaha, what a funny little dog!! I personally love salads... one of my favorite restaurants is a salad one, if I could I'd eat like that daily!! Wish I could say the same about my dog!

Trellum, Apr 12, 2015
  19. Winterybella

Wow! That's great. I can't say my girls like vegetables that much. Truth of the matter is that I don't often feed them vegetables and the few times I have, I get a serious disinterest coming from them. I am just back from traveling and sure enough the one thing I will pack in my carry on is some treats I often pick up from Walmart or some other shops.

I have to confess that I am usually in a such rush or so exhausted I don't read the fine print but I always try to find something I don't see at home. It's standard that whenever I travel I return with their treats and once I rest my bags down and through the attack of love, the treats follow. This time around I bought some natural treats based on the big print.

Winterybella, Apr 12, 2015
  20. Winterybella

It always surprises me when I hear of dogs who hate vegetables. I'm so lucky my Homer likes eating healthy!:) He immediately swallows all carrot slices, pieces of apples and green peas he finds. I'm sure he isn't lacking any vitamins.

claudine, Apr 14, 2015
Ask a Question