Dog Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by NeilPearson, Dec 1, 2011.

1. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Member

Before breeding a dog, take a trip to your local shelters. Give it a lot of thought. You will be creating new dogs. There are lots of unwanted dogs out there. I'm not saying nobody should breed, I'm just saying to give it some thought and make sure it is really something you think you should be doing.

NeilPearson, Dec 1, 2011
  2. NeilPearson

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

If you want to choose your dogs from shelters, that is fine. Not everyone wants a dog from a shelter. I would hate to think that this forum is going to become another place for people to harass people who breed dogs.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 1, 2011
  3. NeilPearson

King Browny Well-Known Member

Dog breeding is business to some, isn’t it? And well, it’s hard to prevent dogs from mating. It’s not like in humans where they would manage family planning. They would really have some sort of a mating season. You can’t keep the bitch in a closed room from a dog whatever you do when it’s their fertile moment. Dogs would go for them and chances are, the bitch will sneak away to get to her beau. Well, anyway, there are still breeds of dogs that’s becoming extinct as they are hard to breed and sometimes, too expensive to nurture and buy. And I think it’s everyone’s responsibility to care for their dog even if it’s from a breeding ground or from shelter. What matter is that in whichever medium they choose to have or acquire a dog the dog will be well taken care of. I think we can’t blame the breeders for stray dogs. Any dog is an owner’s responsibility. And of course, let us support dog shelters. They give a new breed of life to lost dogs.

King Browny, Dec 8, 2011
  4. NeilPearson

Breeding *is* a business to some. However, it's not hard to keep intact dogs from breeding. All you need is a sturdy crate for the female or for both dogs (if you own both of them) and a bit of patience, as well as knowledge of dogs' estrus cycles. I have had intact males and females together in a house for 25 years and have never had an "oops" litter.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 8, 2011
  5. NeilPearson

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I agree 100%, they are so many dogs out there that needs homes and can give love just like a new breed dog. Just open your heart and give the dogs a chance.

wahcashmom, Dec 9, 2011
  6. NeilPearson

So what is wrong with buying a dog from a breeder instead of buying one from a shelter? Shouldn't people have a chance to get the dog that is best for them? Isn't selecting a dog most likely to fit into the purchaser's lifestyle the best way to keep a dog from going to/returning to a shelter?

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 9, 2011
  7. NeilPearson

King Browny Well-Known Member

I just want to ask, besides the proof of documents if one is not really familiar with the breed, “How can you be sure that the dog you’re going to acquire is a pure breed?”

King Browny, Dec 30, 2011
  8. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Member

I'm not saying there is no place for breeders. Many people want a specific breed, possibly from a specific line or breeder and that's fine. I'm just saying for those that just want a dog and don't really know what they want, they just want a family pet, it wouldn't hurt to give your shelters a walk through before making a decision

NeilPearson, Dec 31, 2011
  9. NeilPearson

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My first thought is not to breed your dog. However if you really want to, then I would seriously suggest breeding it true. Meaning don't cross-breed it. It has taken hundreds of years of selective breeding to refine the characteristics of each breed. It would be a waste of getting a defined breed, then cross-breeding it. If you like cross-breeds, you can find plenty in the shelters.

Victor Leigh, Jan 1, 2012
  10. NeilPearson

Amanda Brown Member

I agree in a way, the shelters are overpopulated and tons of animals are being put down because there is no where to put them. However, I know that some people have a breed preference and you can't always get a certain breed from the shelter especially a puppy if desired. I have gotten some amazing dogs from shelters so I would always go there first before opting to buy a puppy from a breeder. I guess it all boils down to what kind of dog your looking for.

Amanda Brown, Mar 27, 2012
  11. NeilPearson

zararina Well-Known Member

It was right that some just prefer those with breed and some does not prefer those already grown up dogs in the shelter. It will be really nice if there will be increasing number of people who prefer dogs from shelters so that more dogs in there will have a new home and a new loving family.

zararina, Mar 28, 2012
  12. NeilPearson

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

We are actually fighting a losing battle. There are definitely more people who breed dogs indiscriminately than those who adopt them from shelters. Maybe what we need is a new law where all dogs be must tagged for breeding. Those owners who want to breed their dogs will have to pay a hefty annual license fee for it and their dogs will be given a special dog tag to put on the collars. All other dogs without such tags will be caught and taken to be neutered on sight. This may be the only way to stop the problem at the root.

Victor Leigh, Mar 29, 2012
Ask a Question