Growth on Eyelid

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by argon_0, Apr 13, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka's developed a small growth on her eyelid. At first we thought it was a tick because we live in the forest. It's definitely a visit for her to a vet very soon.Has anyone else had this experience with their dog?

argon_0, Apr 13, 2012
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe it was insect bite?
    Our dog was bit by ants near his eyes before and it got swollen.

zararina, Apr 13, 2012
  3. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

Is it brown in color and continuing to grow? It might be a melanoma. One of my dogs has that. It was cystic in form and continued to grow into a brown sac under one of her eyelids. When we brought her to the vet, he mentioned that even though we were to have it operated, it was still going to grow back (but this wouldn't be the case for all melanomas. Some can be removed successfully with operation).

Because of the vet's advice, my sister and I decided to look for any kind of remedy which may decrease its size. We came upon Turmeric. It's now starting to shrink. But still, we have to add a teaspoon of turmeric in her diet everyday.

You should have that checked as soon as possible.

haopee, Apr 13, 2012
  4. argon_0

Yes haopee it is getting larger, and now the size is about that of a match head. It's deep brown in colour. We definitely will be getting it looked at next week.I spoke with my wife yesterday about it and her theory is, it could be a tick's head which stayed in after an attempt was made to remove it. Good point Zararina
    Tumeric is an amazing spice, I add it to a lot of cooking but never thought to include it to our dogs food.
    This pic from the internet is a tick, with its tiny head borrowed into to the skin. It sucks blood but also excretes toxins back the same way thus it can cause illness and transmit viruses sometimes. Dogs living in rural areas can be very susceptible to them. On dogs, ticks usually choose the ears and the eyes.On humans, under the armpit and groin areas seems to be their favourite latch on points.
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Apr 13, 2012
  5. argon_0

Mishka is booked into the vet next Tuesday to get the growth removed. I'm interested to see what the cause was or is? It will probably will be a quick procedure but she will need to be under anesthetic or tranquillized so it will be a long day. Always a little nervous to take my dog friend to the vet for these sorts of things. The last time was for a spaying procedure.

argon_0, Apr 20, 2012
  6. argon_0

kinser Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I hate taking my dogs to the vet because it is such a traumatic, nerve-racking experience for them. In our city, we have mobile vet service (although she doesn't service my area, so I haven't used it) which is probably a great convenience for those who hate going to the vet so much. Let us know what you find out about it - my dog had some weird growths on his chin one summer, but they cleared up on their own.

kinser, Apr 22, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  7. argon_0

Thanks everyone. Mishy went to the vet today. They removed a meibomian gland tumour. The vet said it can be started by a trauma. My tick theory may still be valid. Though the vet said if he knew the cause of cancer well he would....:D
    I got some good pics with Mishy with the Elizabethan collar and the lovely vet nurse today, but I forgot the SD card.:( So I took one when I got home.
    The vet said the only way to know if it's cancerous is to have a pathology test. He did reassure me most were benign. Phew. I could just manage the vet surgery today. It was a theatre job..
    It was removed from her bottom left eyelid. .The Lizzy (Elizabethan) collar needs to stay on for at least a week. I must update for my lovely Mishy.

Some really good info in this link...
    http://www.oncolink.org/types/article.cfm?c=22&s=69&ss=807&id=9522

[​IMG]

argon_0, Apr 24, 2012
  8. argon_0

kinser Well-Known Member

Awww, she's so cute! How is she doing with that "collar of shame"? I think my dogs would go nuts trying to get it off. I hope it's benign and she's feeling better very soon.

kinser, Apr 25, 2012
  9. argon_0

Yes, I hope it was the benign variety. Good chance it was. Fingers crossed. Poor old Mishka had a restless night so we took it off for a few hours. She did start rubbing at the stitches so it was back on this morning. She sooks a lot with it on.If only she would not rub that eye.She also tried playing with her ball today. It was quite funny but it must be annoying for her.

argon_0, Apr 25, 2012
  10. argon_0

King Browny Well-Known Member

Who would have thought it’s a meibomian gland tumour (first time to hear this). Glad it is removed and Mishka won’t have to be problematic about it soon. That magnified photo of a tick on the skin gave me a chill. Glad Mishka don’t have that, too.

King Browny, Apr 26, 2012
  11. argon_0

I would certainly like to hear more of what you know King Browny about this tumour.
    My wife said that Mishka had 5 ticks on this eyelid on one occasion and many others over the years.We pull them off ourselves with tweezers, and not so easily.Heads can be left behind. We have discovered a native bush against our house which seems to have harboured them. The bush will soon be removed.
    The collar of shame has been left off. It seems Mishka has learnt not to rub it and I think the surgeon did a great job.. The stitches aren't visible and you would not know.
    Mishy had a great day without the bucket on her head. :D

argon_0, Apr 26, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  12. argon_0

King Browny Well-Known Member

^Actually I learned it from you when I read your post. :p It's just that I'm also speculating that time that it's just an adult tick. Then I did a search about it, I saw this image where there's a big tick-looking mass sunbathing on top of the dog's eyelid. And like your vet said it is usually benign and is common in older dogs. Mishka isn't that old though, right?

Any road, if the tumor isn't completely removed, it may continue to grow and that only 10% of this eyelid tumor recur. And it's a good thing that you have it removed at once because it may cause a real problem during blinking like extra tearing and tear staining which will cause cloudy vision and discomfort for Mishka.

The good thing about this tumor though is that it can easily be detected due to the location. They grow to where you’ll easily notice it unless the owner doesn't look at his/her dog in the eye.

King Browny, Apr 27, 2012
  13. argon_0

Mishka is 8 years old this month.I feel confident all is well. We didn't have to use the bucket collar any more. She has been good at not rubbing it. Looking at her now you can not even spot her stitches. They are due to come out in another week. Fortunately also, the vet will remove them for no cost which is a relief. The initial cost was so large because of general aesthetic theatre charge and surgery plus all the other costs. But she is our companion and we need to do what ever is required in sickness and in health. Maybe we need to have a marriage ceremony.:)

argon_0, Apr 29, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
Ask a Question