Shih-tzus and wolves

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shdws, Jan 16, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I remember Dogs 101 stating that the Shih-tzu is the breed most closely related to wolves. I'm not exactly sure how they came to this conclusion. There are some other studies that suggest that other breeds, such as the Siberian husky and Akita, are more closely related to wolves. What do you think?

shdws, Jan 16, 2013
  2. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

I had actually never heard this at all and thought it sounded pretty crazy, but then I found it listed in Wikipedia even:

"DNA analysis placed the ancestors of today's Shih Tzu breed in the group of "ancient" breeds indicating "close genetic relationship to wolves".[7] "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih_Tzu

I wonder what wolves were like back then then? I don't see the links now really.

Jessi, Jan 16, 2013
  3. shdws

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, I have heard that dogs in general can be related to wolves. I guess some breeds carry this genetic marker closer then others. When you think about it dogs do have some instincts similar to wolves. They tend to have a pack type of behavior when you have more then one dog you see them take care of each other as well as follow each others lead. They will huddle together for warmth in cold conditions, something else common in wolves. So I guess I'm not really surprise to know that some dogs carry the DNA more prominent then others.

pafjlh, Jan 16, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  4. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

Shih-tzus are the most closely related to wolves? This is surprising, really surprising, they don't remind me of wolves at all, they're so little and adorable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

claudine, Jan 16, 2013
    IcyBC and Johanna like this.
  5. shdws

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

I too recall reading this shdws, & still have a difficult time believing it. I did read what Jessi posted & still surprised! And as claudine's photos show, I just don't see the genetic carryover, but pafjlh makes some valid points, re: a carnivorous, pack-like behavior.

SweetBeast, Jan 17, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  6. shdws

Melody Well-Known Member

I would never have made this connection. They look nothing alike. Though, having similar DNA doesn't mean you will have identical physical traits. Just look at human family members!

Jessi, you do bring up an interesting question. Did wolves look the same over time or did they evolve into what we see now?

Melody, Jan 17, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  7. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

That's disturbing. I am pretty sure I posted on this thread but I guess it's gone in the many packets of data the internet decides to shred without prior notice.

Anyway, I heard of this and I was surprised at first too. Since we are prone to basing their origins on physical traits, it's not a surprise that a lot of us are baffled by these findings. I believe the exact statement was that Shih Tzus are the closes dog relatives of the wolves.

As I mentioned in my long lost post, I can see why this is possible as my Shih Tzus have transformed into guard dogs after living outdoors exclusively (homeowners won't allow dogs sleeping inside). When something out of the ordinary happens and Chooey hears or sees it (she's the look out on the 2nd floor), she'd bark out loud as if sounding the pack alarm and the only dog who would bark back to her is Buchi (the other Shih Tzu). All the other dogs would leave them alone in their conversation.

haopee, Jan 17, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  8. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct, dogs and wolves have a lot of similarities since they both belong to the Canidae family. There are also significant differences. Wolves are not tuned in to humans like dogs are. Wolves don't recognize our non-verbal cues, such as pointing, but dogs do.
    I watched a documentary that presented research that shows that you can not domesticate wolves. In fact, domestication can only be achieved through selective breeding. Either way, it's crazy to think that out of all the big, mean looking dogs, the Shih-Tzu would be the closest related to a wolf.

shdws, Jan 17, 2013
    Johanna and Melody like this.
  9. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

I tried looking it up to see if I could find more info, but I didn't really come across pictures. They talked a lot about how they've changed over the years, but not so much physically.

Jessi, Jan 17, 2013
    Johanna likes this.
  10. shdws

Johanna Well-Known Member

Awww

Johanna, Mar 25, 2016
  11. shdws

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Yes, that is interesting and surprising me as well! Again, all dogs are the decedents of wolf somewhere down the line, and that I can understand. We had a Shih Tzu before but he didn't make it due to his illness.

IcyBC, Mar 25, 2016
  12. shdws

Johanna Well-Known Member

Lol! My husband laughed when I said our shih tzu ike wolf!!

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question