Vacuum Sweeper

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by iluvmario, Oct 27, 2012.

1. iluvmario

iluvmario Well-Known Member

How does your dog respond to the vacuum sweeper? My dogs start barking before I even turn it on. Then they attack it, I guess trying to bite it or catch it or something. It is really funny most of the time though it can be very annoying.

iluvmario, Oct 27, 2012
  2. iluvmario

Jessi Well-Known Member

He actually just ignores it. He doesn't care one bit. The cats always at least move to another room, though.

Jessi, Oct 28, 2012
  3. iluvmario

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha has a whole game she plays with the vacuum each morning when my Mom vacuums. Each morning, I take her out to potty and my Mom starts vacuuming (she is obsessed with it!). When we come back in, my Mom is working towards the bedrooms. Misha hides out in the spare room. As the vacuum gets closer, she makes a mad dash past the vacuum, barks at it as she goes by. Then, she does it from the other end of the hall. She does this about 4 or 5 times before she has decided that she is victorious.

She used be terrified by the vacuum. She would lay down on her back and shake with fear. So, I guess this is an improvement. LOL

Melody, Oct 28, 2012
  4. iluvmario

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer runs away from it. He isn't scared of it, he is just angry that I'm cleaning. When he sees that I'm going to clean, he jumps on the chair that is standing far away from the vacuum and he glares at me the whole time:p

claudine, Oct 28, 2012
  5. iluvmario

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My dogs have a tendency to run off when they hear the vacuum. I guess they don't like the loud noise. I remember the original Buddy he had a funny reaction the the vacuum, he would run off, then come back go after it then run off again. I guess this was his way of playing with it, even though the noise still bothered him.

pafjlh, Oct 28, 2012
  6. iluvmario

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a dog as bad as my sister's German Shepherd mix. She is terrified of the vacuum. Instead of fleeing it, she keeps running in front of it. It's as if she is so panicked that she can't figure out where to go. When she stays with us, we put her outside until the vacuuming is over. Otherwise, you have a good chance of running into her.

Melody, Oct 28, 2012
  7. iluvmario

argon_0 Well-Known Member

As soon as I drag the extension cord out for any appliance Mishka heads for the hills and hides. Basically she hates the vacuum cleaner and thinks the extension cord is out for that reason.
    You just reminded me. The house is in desperate need of a clean after a hectic weekend out. I hate vacuum cleaning as much as Mishka hates the machine. I think I will take Mishka for a walk instead.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Oct 29, 2012
  8. iluvmario

haopee Well-Known Member

Fortunately for me, my dogs don't go on a rampage with chords. I've never had the time to thank them for ignoring every dangling chord in sight. Of course, back when Peanuts was still a puppy, she would end up tugging on the computer chords. A stern "No" would often stop them in there tracks.

The vacuum cleaner is a noisy beast. It drives Peanuts crazy when it goes on. She would bark with it as if it's a dog who's trying to compete with her. The terrier gene in her system probably feels the challenge.

haopee, Oct 29, 2012
  9. iluvmario

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

My dog IS the vacuum cleaner! Lol. If she is in the house, every bit of food that is on the floor, she will eat. Seriously though, she is afraid of the vacuum. She doesn't bark at it or try to attack it or anything like that, but she always runs and hides from it. She is a big dog too, so it is pretty funny. She pretty much stays to one corner of the room. When I move the vacuum to the other side of the room she scoots herself as fast as she can to the opposite side.

dashboardc33, Oct 30, 2012
  10. iluvmario

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My little dog is terribly afraid of the vacuum, not to mention the vacuum Swifer. I don't know if it's because he sees things being sucked into it and never coming out or if it's just a general feeling of being afraid. I can't explain it but as soon as I pull out the vacuum, he either goes upstairs to hide under the bed or he goes under the coffee table and stays there until he sees me pass him. If I try to approach him with the vacuum in my hand, he begins to whimper and shake. He's adorable :)

bellahpereira, Nov 6, 2012
  11. iluvmario

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our dogs hated the vacuum cleaner, they would generally just clear out of the room as soon as they heard it go on. To make matters worse, we've tried to vacuum the dogs themselves with the tube attachment a few times just for fun. They were *not* thrilled by that either.

OhioTom76, Nov 6, 2012
  12. iluvmario

pigeon_small Active Member

My dog runs away from it like the big chicken that he is. Even before I turn it on. He'll see me moving towards the thing and he'll immediately leave the room to go hide. Usually under the dinner table. I really wish it didn't scare him the way it does.

pigeon_small, Nov 7, 2012
  13. iluvmario

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Funny, my dogs do, too. They're usually super playful and think everything is a game, but they don't care about the vacuum. They just move out of the way if it's coming towards them, not out of fear, but just to not get hit by it I suppose.

Nick87, Nov 24, 2012
  14. iluvmario

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My dogs don't have any problems with the vacuum cleaner. That's mainly because I don't have one. However, they do have some kind of love-hate relationship with the broom. Sweeping time can either become tug-of-war playtime or sweeping time can become attack-that-intruder-with-the-bushy-tail time. No real way of telling what it would be each time. Sort of happens like spontaneous combustion.

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
Ask a Question