what was the maximum amount of dogs you've ever have?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by schizophreniatype, Apr 13, 2013.

1. schizophreniatype

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

what was the maximum amount of dogs you've ever have?

I remember one time I had 11 dogs in my house. how? well, I already had 2 dogs- Jackie and Tiger. Jackie gave birth to 9 adorable puppies. And they stayed with us for more than a month until we started distributing the dogs to friends and family :( I was really sad but I would have been difficult to raise 11 dogs all at once.

How about you??

schizophreniatype, Apr 13, 2013
  2. schizophreniatype

zararina Well-Known Member

We used to have 10 dogs, 2 adult and 8 puppies cause one of our dogs gave birth to 8 puppies. We only keep 1 from those babies and give others to friends. SO, the maximum dogs that we really raised together is 3. :)

zararina, Apr 13, 2013
  3. schizophreniatype

claudine Well-Known Member

It must be super adorable to have so many puppies at the same time, I love puppies!:D I only have Homer and he is my first dog ever. I would like to get him a brother but Homer hates other dogs and I'm scared that they would fight:(

claudine, Apr 13, 2013
  4. schizophreniatype

Actually I don't think the fight will be for long. I had a dog for 15 years then I brought pups at home. At first, the jealousy was there but soon they became friends and kept each others company. Sometimes, they will fight but they get over with it soon :) It's interesting to see how dogs are very close to man sometimes!!

schizophreniatype, Apr 14, 2013
  5. schizophreniatype

But is it a friendly dog in general? My Homer isn't friendly at all, especially not towards other dogs. He always barks at them and sometimes he tries to attack them. I worry that he might be a sociopath;)

claudine, Apr 14, 2013
  6. schizophreniatype

No, I don't think Homer is a sociopath. Dogs psychology differ from one another. You have to let him socialize a bit and give him the time. How old is homer again?

schizophreniatype, Apr 15, 2013
  7. schizophreniatype

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

At one time, I was helping my vet to take care of some strays and abandoned puppies while he finds new homes for them. So, at one time, I had as many as twenty dogs of all shapes and sizes. Good thing my neighbor also likes dogs.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
  8. schizophreniatype

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

Four was the maximum when my boyfriend moved in. Two were mine two were his. One of them he only had because it was going to get euthanized and he saved its life so he found a good home. The other he has had for 15 years. Im not a huge fan of the dog but were giving him a good life until times up. The other two are my chihuahas they dont take too much room

lifeliveson, Apr 15, 2013
  9. schizophreniatype

He is 6 - definitely not a puppy anymore. He has his habits and I noticed that he doesn't like any changes.
    My friend has an old Yorkie and she bought a puppy. The old one was depressed for two weeks and didn't want to eat nor play. But with time he got used to his new friend...so who knows, maybe there is hope - maybe it would be the same with Homer? But, again, he is so extremely jealous:(

claudine, Apr 15, 2013
  10. schizophreniatype

Your homer seems super mischievious. Do you have a picture of him? I really want to see him!!

schizophreniatype, Apr 17, 2013
  11. schizophreniatype

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

your homer sounds like my toby. we call him the sarge because he feels he runs the show. Realistically, hes a chihuaha, what does he think he can do? He has a viscious growl and snap when he wants what he wants (although he doesnt bite) but its one thing Im having a hard time controlling. Because even though he doesnt bite, to a stranger, thats scary as hell. He wasnt like this before. I got him with my ex and when we broke up and moved toby out of his comfort zone and around a bit he turned a bit cross. However, i did get another dog to keep him company. at first he growled and snapped a bit but after being around him so much its his brother, he sleeps beside him, cleans his ears, etc. No matter your dogs mannerisms, all it takes is time to get used to other dogs on his own terms, I noticed toby is horrible meeting dogs when hes on a leash, makes him that much worse.

lifeliveson, Apr 17, 2013
  12. schizophreniatype

Here is a picture of my little treasure, sorry for the poor quality:

02091640390004.JPG
    Some time ago I posted some pictures of him in the Pictures and Videos section too:D

claudine, Apr 17, 2013
  13. schizophreniatype

OMG- he's mad cute! and he does look full of mischief!

schizophreniatype, Apr 19, 2013
  14. schizophreniatype

Thank you!:D Yesterday I took him to a groomer so he has shorter hair now which makes him look more polite...but of course his behaviour didn't change at all:p . Today he tried to bite a dog we met in the park.

claudine, Apr 20, 2013
  15. schizophreniatype

borderlab Member

I think 9, possibly 10, was the most, never ever again! That was far too many and I was constantly cleaning and hoovering up fur! :eek:

I'm happy with 3 now but I'll probably stick to 2 in the future. I wouldn't have 1 on their own because I think it's nice for them to have the company of another dog.

borderlab, Apr 22, 2013
  16. schizophreniatype

This is why I'm thinking about getting another dog. On the other hand, Homer doesn't seem lonely at all. I suspect that he prefers human company - even when we are in the park, he wants to play only with me, he either ignores other dogs or barks at them. I wish he was more sociable!

claudine, Apr 22, 2013
  17. schizophreniatype

Try getting another dog-if that's convenient with you, of course- I bet homer will socialize plus he will get a friend. He will not stay the spoilt kid anymore!

schizophreniatype, Apr 23, 2013
  18. schizophreniatype

Yiddo Member

I had 3 at once and that was the most. I've had just the 2 for now for quite some time.

Yiddo, Apr 23, 2013
  19. schizophreniatype

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

The maximum number of dogs I have had is one. I'm a cat person. I've always had cats. But my elderly relative went senile and couldn't remember whether she had fed the dog.
    It began with me going to her house to feed the dog, then progressed to me letting the dog spend the night in my apartment during a cold winter, now the dog lives with me and sleeps in my bed. I'm a cat lover but I couldn't ignore a small, yappy dog in need of a home. Nobody else in the family wants the dog and one of my relatives calls him a "rat dog".

ACSAPA, Jun 30, 2013
  20. schizophreniatype

Trellum Well-Known Member

The maximum at a given time has been just 6, but that was for a very short time.. because 4 of them were the puppies my dog just had! It was her first time, so she had a lot issues understanding what to do... It was a rough time for me and my dad! We had to find those puppies good homes, and after that we only kept the two dogs we had :)

Trellum, Oct 29, 2013
Ask a Question